Hello everyone! In addition to the blog, I write a monthly column as a community correspondent. Here is an overview of the past year including links for more detail. Enjoy!
We’ve had a great 2015 in Royalwood!
The themes that dominated many of the columns I submitted in the past 12 months were Royalwood residents staying active and visitors to the Bois-des-Esprits enjoying everything the forest has to offer, in all seasons.
• This fall, Royalwood resident Dee Dee Budgell kicked off weekly Sunday afternoon walks through the Bois trails. The walks continue all winter and into the spring, wrapping up at the end of May 2016;
• Two Royalwood women were profiled for their community fundraising efforts in walk-based events;
Connie Robertson led her Cure of Duty team in the Canadian Cancer Society’s Relay for Life in memory of her brother-in-law. One month later, Danielle Denny and her Boston Terrier, Martha, took part in The Fairmont Winnipeg Paws in Motion;
• Recently, readers met Wally MacKey and her mother Erna Leipert, both living with arthritis. The daughter-mother duo take walks in the Bois and do warm-water arthritis aquatics at Boni-Vital Pool to stay active and manage pain.
• Matt Allard, city councillor for the ward of St. Boniface, was highly engaged and active in Royalwood this year. From hosting a spring town hall, to advocating for improved transit service, to promoting community initiatives like the weekly Bois walks, Allard’s support made a difference;
• Finally, readers met a trio of Royalwood business owners: Lisa Chapil of WedLife Photography, Jamie Robertson of United Therapies STRIVE Rehabilitation Centre, and Colin Flockton of redroc Drywall and Renovation.
Everyone has a story to share. The people and organizations involved in our neighbourhood make it a great place to live. Sincere thanks to Royalwood residents and everyone who participated in this column.
A big thank you to my husband for all his support.
I am excited to share more stories of Royalwood people and places in 2016. Contact me by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org with your feedback and ideas!