They’re out there fellow bloggers. Circling, watching, leaving a happy trail of likes and encouraging comments.
But they are waiting, eager for the right moment to strike.
These creatures are pleasing to eye and the soul. You catch glimpses of them on other blogs, colourful and enticing.
When you finally meet one, you are overjoyed. You feel fulfilled, elated.
But they are hungry. Oh, so very hungry. Starved for your blogging time and attention. Accept them and follow their rules, they will consume your evenings whole.
They are…. Blogger Awards..!!! (evil laugh)
Do not despair. Help is available. Know your blogger awards. Be prepared. Survive the nomination and blog another day.
The Usual Suspects: Common Blogger-Nominated Awards
Versatile Blogger aka “VBA”
Nominees must demonstrate quality writing/photography, unique subject choice, level of love in words/photo
One Lovely Blog
According to BentOnBetterLunches sometimes awarded with the Very Inspiring Blogger award.
Lorraine Reguly, author of Wording Well blog researched the origins and variations of the rules. The Leibster is intended to bring profile to bloggers with 200 followers or less.
Preparing in Advance
What do all these awards have in common? In accepting, you pay it forward, spread the love, and shine the light on other bloggers. Here are some tips for finding them.
- Take a FREE BloggingU class from WordPress and meet new bloggers plus learn insider tips for finding new blogs to follow
- Check your city or town for an in-person Bloggers MeetUp
- WordPress recommendations on your Reader tab
- Good ol’ Google searches on “Your topic of interest” + “blog”
Process for Accepting
Wow, you’re still here! So you really want to go through with this and accept? I found the following helpful, flipping between your blog post and a draft email:
- Start a new blog post right away. Lead with your thank you.
- Don’t worry about editing the thank you, just get your initial reaction on the page with a link back to your nominator
- Open up a draft email and start copy-pasting the links for the blog home page, plus links to the specific posts where you want to comment with your nomination
- Why? Unless you have a full evening/day of time, you will not finish your nominations in one sitting. Give yourself breadcrumbs to follow.
- At the same time you are copy-pasting the links, write up your kind and encouraging personal message about why you have selected each nominee below their blog link (trust me, this will make sense soon.)
- Back to your blog post. Fulfill all the other acceptance requirements.
- Copy-paste the blog home page links from your email to your Nominations list
- When you are ready, publish your blog post
- Go back to your draft email as soon as you hit “publish”
- One by one, go to each of the blog post links. Copy-paste your thoughtful, personal message into the Comments for each post, including the link to your own post.
- Sit back and congratulate yourself!
Not so much for you?
Leah, the genius behind Travel.Taste.Create, graciously declined my nomination for a Leibster Award by citing another blogger’s post Why I Don’t Like the Leibster Award. Please Don’t Hate Me.